On April 22 and 23, Chatham Baroque will carry out The Pleasure of Bach, a live performance honoring the late Bach scholar Don O. Franklin, whose contributions to the work and research of Bach left an indelible mark on Pittsburgh and the early music neighborhood at giant. Chatham Baroque shall be joined by a few of Franklin’s favourite collaborators on this musical tribute.
A mainstay of the College of Pittsburgh Division of Music, Franklin additionally served 4 years as president of the American Bach Society and was the founding editor of Bach Views. He was beloved by undergraduates and graduate college students who in 2018 collaborated with Bach students from across the nation to publish The Compositional Decisions and Significance of JS Bach’s Vocal Music, a set of essays collected as a tribute to Franklin’s half-century as “an impressive chief of American Bach research.” In 1991, Franklin co-founded Pitt’s widespread Bach and Baroque Sequence, which ran for 16 years. He additionally directed the Heinz Chapel Choir for 5 years, tremendously increasing their repertoire and taking them on their first worldwide tour.
Chatham Baroque has a protracted historical past with Franklin, together with participation in his “Bach and Baroque” sequence and collaboration on the favored Bach Birthday Bash program held every March.
“Bach is such an essential composer within the baroque world, and now we have a wealthy historical past of performing his works in Pittsburgh, due to Franklin’s legacy. For Bach’s birthday, we needed to carry collectively a bunch of artists who knew him and carry out a few of Bach’s most beloved works.” , — mentioned one of many creative administrators Andrew Fouts.
“We began with Cantata 170, Vergngte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlustas, our capstone for this system, that includes Kristen Dubenion Smith (mezzo-soprano) and Justin Wallace (harpsichord, chamber organ). Then I considered two instrumental Bach concertos that will spotlight the abilities of oboist Catherine Montoya and violinist Emily Eng.’
The Pleasure of Bach program will characteristic instrumental and vocal works by the Baroque composer, together with the magnificent cantata Vergngte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlust for viola, oboe, strings and continuo (BWV170); Concerto for Two Violins (BWV1043); and Concerto for Oboe and Violin (BWV1060r).
Chatham Baroque Creative Administrators Andrew Fouts (violin), Patricia Halverson (alto da gambo) and Scott Powley (theorbo) shall be joined by an exceptionally gifted group of visitor musicians, together with:
- Mezzo-soprano Kristen Dubenion-Smith, acclaimed for her “velvety legato and vocal heat” (Washington Classical Assessment) and “lyrical mezzo of extraordinary magnificence” (The Washington Submit), has an lively performing profession in oratorio and sacred vocals. of music specializing within the music of the Center Ages, Renaissance and Baroque. Along with her work as a soloist, she was the primary girl to be supplied a spot within the Males’s and Boys/Women Choirs on the Washington Nationwide Cathedral, and performs repeatedly with the Cathedra, Chantry, Washington Bach Consort, and the Grammy-nominated Clarion Choir. She is the co-founder of Eya: Ensemble for Medieval Music.
- Baroque oboist Catherine Montoya performs with varied orchestral and chamber ensembles, together with the Boston Early Music Pageant Orchestra, Tafelmusik, Wiener Akademie, Pacific Musicworks, and Apollo’s Fireplace. Latest initiatives embrace the Tony Award-winning Broadway manufacturing of Twelfth Night time, live shows and workshops in Shanghai, in addition to touring and the Grammy Award-winning recording of Charpentier: La couronne de fleurs – La descente d’ Orphe aux enfers from the Boston Early Music Pageant. Montoya has been featured on NPR’s “Efficiency In the present day” and could be heard on Erato, Naxos, CPO, NCA, Analekta and Dorian Sono Luminus.
- Alice Cullin-Ellison is a flexible historic performer with skilled expertise in medieval, renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic and modern music. Primarily a violinist, she additionally performs viola, medieval and renaissance viola and has studied baroque dance. She is the co-founder of Incantare: an ensemble of violins and baggage, and was beforehand creative director of Bourbon Baroque. Her skilled engagements additionally embrace the Indianapolis Baroque Orchestra, Fireplace of Apollo, Chatham Baroque, Atlanta Baroque Orchestra, and the Charlotte Bach Academy. As a soloist, she led opera productions of Handel’s Acis and Galatea and Purcell’s King Arthur.
- As a baroque violist and violinist, Emily Ang enjoys a diversified musical life in chamber ensembles and orchestras, with hardness or metal at hand. Her work has included appearances with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra, Orchestra of the Enlightenment, Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra, Nationwide Ballet Orchestra, Academy Live performance Sequence, Soundstreams, Canadian Opera Firm and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Eng held three consecutive residencies on the Banff Heart Hut, and from 2003 to 2004 she was co-artistic director of the Parkdale Individuals’s Live shows, a chamber music sequence on the Gladstone Lodge.
- Swiss violinist Chiara Fasani Stauffer performs music from the Baroque to the twenty first century and has carried out on three continents, together with with Apollo’s Fireplace, the Washington Bach Consort and the Sebastians. She appeared on A Prairie Dwelling Companion with the East 4th Avenue Quartet, recorded a critically acclaimed jazz album with saxophonist Bobby Selvaggio’s Transcendental Orchestra, and carried out stay on WCLV as a part of the brand new music group FiveOne Experimental Orchestra. . She is the co-founder and creative director of Time Canvas, a chamber music group dedicated to bringing progressive music to the broader neighborhood.
- A music theorist and performer specializing within the seventeenth and 18th centuries, Paul Miller teaches at Duquesne College and his analysis has been revealed in a lot of scholarly journals. As a performer, he has carried out on the Metropolitan Museum of Artwork in New York, the US Library of Congress, the Nationwide Cathedral in Washington, DC, the Darmstadt Worldwide Pageant of New Music, the Bethlehem Bach Pageant, and the Hawaii Performing Arts Pageant. , in addition to with ensembles akin to El Mundo and Tempesta di Mare, and with colleagues together with Grammy nominees Richard Savino and Jory Vinicour.
- Tracey Mortimore has had a diversified profession, performing extensively on modern and historic double bass and violin. As an early music specialist, Mortimore has labored with Santa Fe Professional Musica, Washington Bach Consort, Musica Professional Rara, Insurgent, Tafelmusik, Opera Atelier, Toronto Consort, Wolftrap Opera, NYSEMA, Pegasus, Chatham Baroque, Folger Consort, Apollo’s Fireplace, Clarion and Aradia Ensemble – with whom he revamped 45 recordings on the Naxos label. He’s additionally lively on the planet of free improvised music and modern classical music as a performer and as a composer.
- Justin Wallace has had a multi-faceted profession as a harpsichordist, organist and composer. Dwelling in Pittsburgh, he performs with Chatham Baroque, The Dukes Music, Quantum Theatre, Music Mundana, Pittsburgh Camerata, and at Shadyside Presbyterian Church, the place he has been assistant organist since 2013. His taking part in on historic keyboards took him to Charleston, South Carolina; Birmingham, Alabama; Quito, Ecuador; Leipzig, Germany; and the Abbey of Roumont, the place he studied with the well-known French harpsichordist Blandine Verlet. Justin’s compositions have been carried out throughout the nation and broadcast on American Public Media’s Pipedreams channel. He holds levels from the Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory and the Eastman Faculty of Music.
The Pleasure of Bach
Saturday, April 22, 7:30 p.m., Calvary Episcopal Church, Shadyside
Sunday, April 23, 2:30 p.m., Calvary Episcopal Church, Shadyside
Tickets are $40 for adults, $35 for seniors (65+) and $20 for college kids. Subscribers and advance ticket purchasers will obtain a hyperlink to a video recording of this system following the stay efficiency. For tickets and knowledge, go to chathambaroque.org.